KAIR Košice Artist in Residence invites visual or interdisciplinary artists, researchers, and writers working with queer Arab heritages, experiences, and expressions in diaspora and home to apply for the residency in Košice, Slovakia. The open call is devoted to all nationalities based anywhere in Europe.
Topic: Arab Queer Heritage
We invite artists, thinkers, writers, and artistic researchers dealing with the concepts of queerness, identity, heritage, and their intertwinement to the Arab context to apply for the five-weeks residency in Košice. The residency aims to support projects that tackle the sensitive terrain of the identity and heritage of Arab queerness in the diaspora and engages with their expressions and experiences beyond humanitarian action and into cultural significance.
For the residency in Košice, we would like to ask the applicants to address the following questions: How do we define our heritage and bodies? Do they contradict in a way? Who has the right to determine our bodies or our heritages?
Košice Artist in Residence is an international residency program for artists from all over the world and all artistic disciplines and expressions. KAIR is strongly focused on creating international cooperation between Slovak and foreign artists and art organizations. Since 2011, artists have had the chance to work in the inspiring environment of Košice’s singular cultural surroundings, realize art projects, collaborate with the agile local art scene, and present themselves to the local and national public. KAIR also provides opportunities for Slovak artists to travel for residencies in cooperation with its partners. KAIR offers two separate studios approx. 20 m2 in size, suitable for visual artists. The studios are connected to the Šopa Gallery, where the residency activities in Košice will take place.
Applications deadline: 10 of July 2022, 23:59 (CET).
Results announcement: 18 of July 2022
Residency stay in Košice: 1 of September – 31 of October 2022
What do we offer:
- An eight-week residency in Košice, Eastern Slovakia
- Free accommodation and studio
- Honorarium 600 €
- Material costs max. 200 € in total
- Curatorial support
- Connection with the local cultural scene
- Connection and collaboration with local communities
- Production and PR support
What do we expect:
- Participation during the Open Studios Night to introduce themself to the local audience.
- One individual presentation or workshop during the residency
- Final presentation/exhibition at the end of the residency
- Compulsory attendance
HOW TO APPLY
The application should consist of three PDFs in English:
- a portfolio with selected works uploaded as one pdf file (max. 10 pages and up to 10MB). Video works should be submitted via active links to YouTube, Vimeo, or other video platforms;
- motivation letter: please describe your motivation to take part in the residency and the ideas or topics you would like to work with during the residency (max. 3500 characters with spaces);
- Curriculum Vitae including formal and/or informal education, professional collaborations, and basic information (name, address, email, website).
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS HERE.
During the selection process, the jury will give priority to those who:
- are active; even students can apply if they are already active in their practice,
- reflect the topic of the open call,
- are either born, live or work in one of the European countries
CONTACT AND FURTHER INFO
KAIR Košice Artist in Residence
Contact: Petra Sedlák Housková / project manager
Phone nr.: +421 911 224 391
The residency program is supported using public funding by Slovak Arts Council. The Slovak Arts council is the main partner of the project.
The residency is also supported by Košice City.