The Artist-in-Residence program (AIR) of the Schafhof – European Art Forum Upper Bavaria and K.A.I.R. Košice Artist in Residence invite visual artists from Slovakia to take part in the two-months residency in Freising, Germany. The Open Call for the residency in Schafhof – European Center for Art Upper Bavaria is open for visual artists from all fields.
About the AIR program in the Schafhof
The Artist-in-Residence program (AIR) of the Schafhof – European Center for Art Upper Bavaria is open to artists from across Europe. Invitations are currently issued exclusively through cooperation with partner organisations in the respective countries.
The values of a borderless, open, and free continent, a Europe of regions, are reflected in the program’s purpose and meaning. The European Art Forum offers a platform for lively exchange and a network of ideas. All fields of contemporary visual art are represented.
Forming the main themes are the two poles of technology and nature as central pillars of a modern and sustainable community, which is fostered by the setting and facilities of the art center. The location in the midst of nature and the exceptional architecture create an atmosphere in which artists can concentrate on their work, while they can also integrate into the rich art scene of Munich and Upper Bavaria.
More information about the residency in the Schafhof to download
Applications can be submitted in a straightforward manner; all that is required is a portfolio, a CV and a few sentences on motivation or on a proposed project (see below) in English. The decisive factor is the general artistic quality. There is no age limit. Only individuals will be eligible to apply for the residency.
Applications are open to artists or artist collectives from all areas of the visual arts (including painting, installation, photography, sculpture/object, drawing, graphics, video/multimedia).
What AIR program at the Schafhof – European Art Froum Upper Bavaria provides to the artist from Slovakia:
- Two-months residency in Freising (between July and November 2023 by agreement)
- Free workspace and accommodation in a separate live-work studio at the Schafhof
- Free use of workshops and technical equipment
- Honorarium 800 € / month (the amount includes the material costs)
- Travel costs (one-time return, most favorable connection, after agreement)
- Scholarship contract
- Participation in a group exhibition at the European Art Forum in Freising in the year following the residence
Expectations from an artist:
- Participation in a public presentation with the other artists-in-residence: short presentation of previous artistic work and artist talk in a cozy atmosphere in the library (INPUT series) and/or presentation and artist talk at a day of Open Studios (KUNST#TAG)
- Attendance to meet guests, visitors and professionals after an appointment
- Short text about the artist and their artistic approach as well as one portrait photo and 1-3 photos of artworks for free use by Schafhof for a press release, PR material, website and social media
- Optional, but welcome: Participation in the joint exhibition of all artists of the exchange programs (Foreign and German) at the gallery spaces of the European Art Forum in the year following their stay
- Entry in our guest book
The application should consist following information in English (max. altogether 12 MB):
- Portfolio with selected works (max. 10 pages)
- Motivation letter: please describe your motivation to take part in the residency and some ideas or topics you would like to work with during the residency (max. 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae with basic information (Name, Address, Email, Website)
- By arrangement, video and sound files can be made available via a cloud.
- Links to pages on the internet or to social media accounts can unfortunately not be accepted.
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTS HERE.
If you have any questions about the open call or residency, please contact Petra Housková (K.A.I.R): firstname.lastname@example.org or Eike Berg (Schafhof) email@example.com.
Two months residency for artists from Germany, Upper Bavaria district takes place in the framework of the Artist Fellowship of the District Council of Upper Bavaria. The residency program is supported using public funding by Slovak Arts Council. The project is supported by City Košice.
Upon receipt of the scholarship, the scholarship holders agree to public reporting on their person, vita and works, including the publication of images of the works created during the scholarship stay. All further details will be regulated by a contract.
A jury of the K.A.I.R conducts the pre-selection of the application of the artists from Slovakia, the jury of the Schafhof decides on the awarding of the scholarships. Applicants will be notified immediately. The legal process is excluded.
The right to make changes or errors is reserved. If an art exchange with one of the partner institutions does not take place despite a successful call for applications, the art scholarship will be cancelled without compensation and the District of Upper Bavaria will not pay any compensation or damages.
Schafhof – European Art Forum Upper Bavaria
Am Schafhof 1, 85354 Freising/Germany
Phone.: +49-8161-146231, fax: +49-8161-146287