Visual, new media and sound art and performance are the fields covered within the residential programme Plants AiR, which gives local artists a chance to reside and work within the project K.A.I.R. Košice Artist in Residence in Košice (Slovakia).
The thematic framework of the residential programme is Interconnectedness, with the focus on the relationship between human and environment. The suggested artistic project should explore the ways in which people, nature and animals interact, and critically examine how the chasm between human and nature/animals is created.
The artistic project should raise a question about how we should nurture collective and democratic forms of understanding our ecological future by using artistic tools: How to ensure that the rules are equal for everyone, including animals? How to protect future generations? How to set our own values? How to influence the public sector, institutions and law?
The suggested artistic project can tackle personal, psychological experience and aspects of our changeable natural environment, and examine how ecological problems and their political implications influence emotional and social development of an individual (e.g. ecological anxiety).
The candidates should meet the following criteria:
- they are of legal age and are nationals of the Republic of Serbia
- they have a permanent or temporary residence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia (artists with permanent or temporary residence on the territory of the City of Novi Sad and partner municipalities in the ‘Novi Sad 2021’ project (Irig, Beočin and Sremski Karlovci) have priority
- they work in different fields: visual art, digital media, performing art, sound art, etc.
- they speak English or Slovak fluently
- they have not been previously selected for the residential programmes organised by the Foundation or mobility programmes (calls for programmes: Plants AiR, Kizuna, Mobility etc.)
The call is implemented in cooperation between the ‘Novi Sad 2021 – European Capital of Culture’ and organisation KAIR – Košice Artist in Residence, Slovakia.
The selected artist has the task to implement one artistic project during his/her stay in Košice. The residence lasts up to 8 weeks in the period from 1 March until 30 April 2020.
The residence includes monthly fee in the amount of EUR 1000, as well as travel costs in the maximum amount of EUR 350. The organisation KAIR covers the material costs in the amount of up to EUR 500 (net) for production of artwork,
All interested candidates should send the following documents:
- CV in English, which mustn’t be longer than 4 pages (listing professional experience in artwork, the most important exhibitions, presentations, collaborations, previous residences in similar programmes, etc.)
- accompanying letter in English between 150-250 words (in which he/she suggests the idea for the project that will be implemented during the residential programme in Košice)
- portfolio of 3-5 selected works collected in one PFD file with size no larger than 5 MB;
- copy of the ID card in order to prove the place of residence
It is necessary to send the above-mentioned documents to the following e-mail: email@example.com marked as ‘Residential Programme Košice 2020’ no later than 20 February 2020 at midnight.
For additional questions related to the call, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The residency is supported using public funding by Slovak Arts Council.
The aim of the ‘Artist in Residence’ (Plants AiR) programme that is being implemented within the ‘Novi Sad 2021 – European Capital of Culture’ project is the internationalisation of local artistic scene, education and networking of local artists with foreign artists and organisations. Within the programme, artists from Novi Sad receive the support in order to implement outgoing residences, as well as to enable foreign artists to visit Novi Sad and to exchange experience and knowledge with local artists through work.