OPEN CALL for 2013
During the last centuries, the whole region of East Slovakia on the edge of Schengen border where Košice is situated has been influenced by many different kingdoms, countries and cultural groups and still you can feel this multicultural spirit in the city, also because of the huge Hungarian and Roma minorities. During the socialistic time, Košice became a centre of steel industry, the population tripled within 3o years and the city expanded immensely. During the last years Košice has started a transformation process of turning post-industrial city into a creative one aiming to become an important cultural hub between East and West in social, political and artistic terms.
Artist in Residence
In the frame of European Capital of Culture the NGO Košice 2013 is running an international Artist-in-Residence program for emerging artists from all over the world and out of all artistic disciplines and expressions.
We pursuit three main goals within the residency program:
- Support the creative energy of every invited artist and give her/him the chance to work in a new environment and to find (new) artistic ways of expression
- Stimulate the art scene in Košice, in the region and in whole Slovakia. Support the dialogue as well as the confrontation of the residency artists with local artists and the wide public.
- Create/strengthen a beneficial environment for the development of innovative and international contemporary art projects with international and local participants.
According to these goals, our team introduces every artist to the social environment of the city and the region and help them to build up networks and collaborations with local artists. We organise public events like exhibitions, artist talks, projections, workshops, open studios to give all artists the chance to introduce and present themselves to a wide public.
K.A.I.R. – FACTS
What we provide
- Three month residency in Kosice, Eastern Slovakia between February and December 2013
- Free accommodation near the city centre (fully furnished with kitchen, no room service
- Honorary, travelling and material costs
What we demand
- We are searching for emerging artists outside Slovakia, who are open to collaborations with local artists
- One presentation during the residency and final project/exhibition at the end
- Compulsory attendance
The application must consist of three PDF files
- PDF n°1: Curriculum Vitae– a short CV including your name, address, phone, email, educational and exhibition background
- PDF n°2: Letter of motivation and objectives– briefly describe your motivation to come to Košice and first ideas of projects you would like to realise
- PDF n°3: Portfolio– artist statement and presentation of artworks (texts, photos, links to video or audio sharing websites: YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud etc.)
- We are sorry but we do not accept any other formats of attachments.
- Deadline: 20th of August 2012 / please send it only via email
For artists from Visegrad countries (Czech republic, Poland, Hungary)
Please bear in mind that there is a possibility to apply for Visegrad Artist Residency Program – Visual & Sound Art. This program encourages residency exchange among V4 countries and we would be happy to provide the successful applicants from V4 countries with a letter of acceptance which is a crucial part for being granted the scholarship. If you happen to be selected for receiving the letter of acceptance we will inform you not later than the 1st of September so that you have enough time to write an application for the program (deadline the 10th of September).