HALLE 14, centre for contemporary art at the Leipzig Cotton Spinning Mill
K.A.I.R. Kosice Artist in Residence/Kosice 2013
As an independent art centre, HALLE 14 is a place for the presentation of contemporary art as well as a space for reflection and communication. As a non-profit organization, HALLE 14 serves the public interest in its artistic commitment. This goal is accomplished through projects such as exhibitions, an art library, the art education programme Kreative Spinner, the international fellowship programme Studio14 and the Lounge14 series of talks and discussions.
The five-storey industrial building HALLE 14, with a total of 20,000 m², is located at the site of the former Leipziger Baumwollspinnerei (Leipzig Cotton Spinning Mill). Since the beginning of the 1990s, artists, gallerists and others involved in creative work have built a productive and lively community at this location, providing an inspiring environment for HALLE 14.
THE CITY OF LEIPZIG
Leipzig can look back on a history steeped in traditions in education, art and culture. At the 600 year-old university, the giants of German culture studied and worked, including the dramaturge and literary theorist Johann Christoph Gottsched, the writer Johann Wolfgang Goethe, philosophers from Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz to Friedrich Nietzsche to Ernst Bloch, the linguist Ferdinand de Saussure and the literary scholar Hans Mayer. Leipzig was also home to famous composers including Johann Sebastian Bach and Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy as well as painters including Max Klinger, the Leipzig School‘s Werner Tübke and Wolfgang Mattheuer and the New Leipzig School’s Neo Rauch and Tilo Baumgärtel. Since the 1950s there is also a strong photographic tradition from Evelyn Richter and Arno Fischer to Timm Rautert, Joachim Brohm and Ricarda Roggan. The book and graphic arts are also no new development; Leipzig was the German book and graphics metropolis of the 19th century. Today Leipzig offers a lively art scene with a Museum for visual Art, the Museum for Contemporary Art, numerous galleries and art associations as well as countless “offspaces.” These traditions are connected to Leipzig’s history as a free city and centre for trade.
What we provide
- Three month residency in Leipzig, Germany
- Free accommodation and studio at the Leipzig Cotton Spinning Mill >
- Honorary: 500 € per month / Travelling and material costs
- Time of the residencies: mid June till mid September or mid September till mid December
What we demand
- East Slovakian emerging artist, who are open to collaborate with local artists
- One artist talk during the residency in Leipzig and one presentation in Kosice afterwards
- Compulsory attendance
- Curriculum Vitae – Please send a short CV including your name, address, phone, email along with educational and exhibition background
- Letter of motivation and objectives – Briefly describe your motivation to go to Leipzig and the projects you want to realise during your stay
- Examples of current works with artist`s statement (file format: PDF, GIF, JPG or TIFF / file size: total files no larger than 10 MB via Email, up to 50 MB via www.wetransfer.com
- Please send your applications to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 10th of March 2012