Motel Spatie, Arnhem, the Netherlands
Motel Spatie is a project space and artist-in-residence inventing forms of engaged autonomy and D.I.Y urbanism always questioning: Who owns the city? Motel Spatie, artist-in-residence, regards contemporary art as a laboratory for society. The literal meaning of the Dutch (word) Spatie would be Space (as in the space between words, created with your spacebar – as we say in Dutch, spatiebalk). In this sense, it also points to the unused places in cities formed by mis-planning, restructuring, and the real estate crisis. These are the places we are interested in; places we search for and start using, by either climbing fences or asking the keys – with a Just-do-it principle. Motel Spatie is based in the middle of Presikhaaf (a suburb of Arnhem, The Netherlands) at the artist-run initiative Locatie Spatie. Presikhaaf is a typical post-war district that witnessed the engagement of architecture (as economic and political tool) for the improvement of the world by means of building design and urban planning. The idea was to build a new social order where the individual reconciles his place in the community, a place he had lost in the modern city. Presikhaaf gathers inhabitants of 112 different countries, adding a special dynamic to this district (currently under extensive restructuring). Motel Spatie is artist run initiative surrounded by a big street art scene, visual artists and musicians.
Motel Spatie and K.A.I.R. Cooperation
Motel Spatie and K.A.I.R set up a long term relationship for artistic exchange. We are working together for 3 years: 2013 – 2015. Artists from Slovakia and from Arnhem will represent their country and residency program abroad. The artists will stay for 3 months on the other residency. In this residency program we regard contemporary art as a laboratory for society. The Open Call is open for the artists of all artistic disciplines including architects, designers, graphic designers etc.
What we provide
- Three months long residency in Arnhem from September until November 2014
- Free accommodation (fully furnished with kitchen, no room service)
- Honorary: 500 € pretax per month
- Travelling costs Košice-Arnhem-Košice
- Material costs up to 500 €
What we demand
- We search for emerging Slovak artist, who are open for collaborations with local artists
- Individual artist, no duos of groups
- One presentation during the residency and one presenation after the residency in Košice
- The artist is responsible for his/her health insurance and liability insurance for the time of the residency
- PDF n°1: Curriculum Vitae – Please send a short CV including your name, address, phone, email along with educational and exhibition background
- PDF n°2: Letter of motivation – Describe shortly your motivation to go to Arnhem and on which project you would like to work on
- PDF n°2: portfolio
All material submitted must be in English language.
Deadline: 24th of March 2014 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of results: 31st of March 2014